The Company Clan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Company Clan Forums

Clan Forums

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cpt._Buttwipes

Cpt._Buttwipes

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2009-01-05

will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Empty
PostSubject: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 12:02 pm

This last update added a few cool things, but holy sheet my hard drive spins like a bitch that's had too much vodka out on the town.   I can deal with it most days, but lately its pissing me off.   That and there is a weird new breed of weenies playing this game lately...

Wonder if 9.4 is going to make me officially unable to play this game.   There is no way I can afford a new pc right now.  Bastards... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
=[C]=Xd_rifles
PR Team Member
=[C]=Xd_rifles

Number of posts : 2234
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Couple of things that could help you out a bit, hopefully. Harddrive clutter needs to go and the biggest culprit of creating it is the Recycle Bin. By default, everything you delete or uninstall is put in the Recycle Bin. Not a problem, right? Wrong! The recycle bin creates a hidden folder, the first time you empty it and it keeps putting everything in that folder, when you empty it. Change your settings on it by right clicking on the Recycle Bin, left click on properties, then click the radio button where it says "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.", then click Apply, OK. Then empty the Recycle Bin. This deletes everything in the hidden folder and the folder, itself, freeing up a huge amount of drive space. Defrag your hard drive(s). I use AusLogic's Disk Defrag utility, instead of trusting windows to do it properly, for 2 reasons, AusLogic's utility is way faster than windows and will optimize your files, while it defrags the drive.

If you're using a 32 bit version of windows, you're limited to 4 Gb of ram and if that's what you have, you're stuck with it, even if the motherboard will handle up to 16 Gb or more. Going to a 64 bit version of windows will allow you to add more memory, to your PC, without having to rebuild it, from the ground up. Also, if you're not all thumbs and don't mind waiting, you can buy a new PC, one part at a time, from Newegg.com. Get a new motherboard, this month, new CPU next month, etc., assembling it all, when you've got all the parts you need/want.

Getting back to the hard drive problem, that's caused by a hidden file (pagefile.sys or swapfile.sys, I think) that needs a lot of drive space, on 32 bit systems, to work as intended. This is usually a fixed amount of hard drive space, allocated during installation of windows and does change in size, depending on what else is hogging your HD space. In your case, I think it's your recycle bin folder, which uses up more and more space, each time you uninstall or delete something. Adding more memory will reduce the load on the pagefile.sys section of your HD and reduce HD usage. Again, though, adding memory is dependent on two things. Are you using a 32 bit version of windows and what is the maximum amount of memory your motherboard can handle.
Back to top Go down
Cpt._Buttwipes

Cpt._Buttwipes

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey brother, thanks for the tips!   I built this current computer way back when, with parts from Newegg so I'm no stranger on that front.   I also work IT all day, but mostly server/network side now, so some of these tips/tricks have been long forgotten to say the least.  

I'll give them a shot very soon and cross my fingers that some things change a bit.   Ultimately thought, this Pc is circa 2006-2007 so it's about time for it to take a long walk off a short plank.
Back to top Go down
=[C]=Xd_rifles
PR Team Member
=[C]=Xd_rifles

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Let me know what happens, if you would. I'm curious as to your results.
Back to top Go down
=[C]=BurntoutHippie
Diplomatic Asshole!
=[C]=BurntoutHippie

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Also look around in the settings of the game. There are new settings in there that will optimize the game to run better on older systems. Thats the cool thing about this new game engine it's designed to optimize itself to your pc stats. That may help as well.

-Hippie
Back to top Go down
Cpt._Buttwipes

Cpt._Buttwipes

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

Defrag tool you suggested kicks ass!!   I tried the recycle bin tricks and it didnt seem to effect much.  

I'll dig around in the game settings again and see if I can tone things down a bit.  Thanks for the help and suggestions fellas!
Back to top Go down
=[C]=Xd_rifles
PR Team Member
=[C]=Xd_rifles

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Go here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and download CCleaner. It'll get rid of all the file clutter, for you and, to an extent, clean up your registry, as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...   will 9.4 update finally kill my pc... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

will 9.4 update finally kill my pc...
Page 1 of 1